Last Updated on November 7, 2021 by Ramon Walters
Unlocking the bootloader on your smartphone device will give you access to different customizing options. And most importantly, it allows you to root your smartphone.
For some smartphone brands like OnePlus, the unlocking process is straightforward. But for some smartphone brands like Xiaomi, the unlocking process is complicated.
You need to do one crucial thing before unlocking your Xiaomi device to create a Mi account and bind it with your device and mobile number. This is one major step that you must not skip.
If you skip this process, you will encounter issues like: “Mi Current Account Cannot Unlock This Device.” To avoid issues like this, you need to follow this step-by-step guide carefully.
How to Unlock Bootloader on Your Smartphone Device?
Unlocking your smartphone device bootloader is the first thing you need to install custom ROMS or root your smartphone device. This process is complicated for Xiaomi smartphone users, but we have tried to simplify it below:
STEP 1: Create a Mi account and link it with your mobile number
- The first thing you need to do before starting the unlocking process is create a Mi account.
- You may skip this process during your smartphone setup, but it is compulsory to unlock the bootloader on your device.
STEP 2: Go to developer settings to Authorize MI Unlock
- In this process, you will go to the ‘authorization tab’ under developer settings.
- Go to the ‘Unlock status,’ then add your Mi account details in the space provided.
STEP 3: Download and Install The Mi Unlock Tool
- Pick up your PC to download and install the Mi Unlock Tool
- Extract the zip file and open the ‘Mi unlock the flash file.’
- Login with the same Mi account you used on your smartphone
- Open up your smartphone fast boot mode by pressing the lower volume button and power button simultaneously.
- Now, connect your smartphone with the PC using the USB cable, then press the Unlock button.
STEP 4: Wait Patiently to complete the Unlock period
- This stage is known as the Waiting Period, so it requires a lot of patience.
- When this period is over, your bootloader will be unlocked.
- But, ensure that you do not skip the 168 hours’ error.
STEP 5: Remove smartphone from PC and Reboot it
- Make sure you check if the bootloader is successfully unlocked before you remove and reboot your smartphone.
- After you have successfully unlocked the bootloader, you can now download custom ROMS and root your smartphone.
How to Fix Mi Current Account Cannot Unlock This Device?
Two things that can cause issues like Mi Current Account Cannot Unlock This Device are:
- Not bounding your current Mi account with the smartphone device that you want to unlock.
- Not linking your Mi account with your mobile number – the mobile number on the smartphone device.
To fix this issue, you must bound your current account to the device you want to unlock.
One of the several advantages of unlocking the bootloader is because it allows you to root your smartphone device.
You need to note that all the content on your Mi device will be erased when unlocking the bootloader. If you have important contents that you don’t want to lose, you have to back up your data on Google Backup or Mi Cloud before starting the process.
The unlocking process is challenging, and one major issue you will face during the process is Mi Current Account Cannot Unlock This Device. We have explained how to fix this issue in this article.