Last Updated on February 2, 2022 by Ramon Walters
You may want to unlock the bootloader on your Xiaomi phone but you do not know where to begin. This can work for different Xiaomi models especially if you would like to unlock more than one Xiaomi phone.
The steps to doing this are very straightforward so as long as you would follow them, you will not run into any other problems.
What Exactly is a Bootloader?
- What Exactly is a Bootloader?
- Things You Need Before Using the Xiaomi Bootloader Unlock Tool
You gave already heard people talk about the bootloader but it is possible that you do not know what it can do. A bootloader will allow you to customize your Xiaomi phone easily. If you have not unlocked it yet, there are going to be some restrictions. You will not be able to use it to its full potential.
Let us say that you want to install a custom ROM on your smartphone. You can only do this with the help of a bootloader. You cannot root your phone or do further customizations otherwise.
Advantages of the Bootloader Unlock
There are some things that you can expect when you have the bootloader unlock:
- You will be able to root your phone easily.
- Install the TWRP recovery on your Xiaomi phone.
- Get the Custom ROM and install it on your device.
- You can finally install some apps that may be incompatible with your Xiaomi phone.
- You can customize your smartphone according to your needs.
Disadvantages of Having the Bootloader Unlock
There are also some disadvantages to having the bootloader unlock that you should know. You need to know what may happen if you decide to push through with doing it.
- The warranty of your Xiaomi phone will not be accepted anymore.
- There is no guarantee that the performance of your phone will improve.
- All of the data that you have placed on your phone will be erased.
- No OTA updates will be available anymore.
Things You Need Before Using the Xiaomi Bootloader Unlock Tool
Can you imagine if you would be excited to have the Xiaomi bootloader unlock tool only to realize that you cannot use it?
- USB cable
- Full backup of your data
- MI account is the same as the SIM card you have placed on your phone.
- Balance for the texts that you will receive
Remember to download the official MI Unlock Tool on your device so that you can start with the process.
Unlock the Bootloader on Your Xiaomi Phone
There is one thing that you should realize, this process is only going to be applicable for Xiaomi phones. If you would use it for other Android phones, there is a chance that your phone will get bricked. You do not want to risk that.
- Enable USB debugging on your Xiaomi phone. To do this, you need to go to Settings, About Phone, and tap the MIUI a few times to enable Developer Options.
- Enable Sync options on Settings. You will see the MI Cloud. Just tap on it so that you will eventually find the Turn on Device Option. Tap the Sync Details.
- Click Sync All Items.
- Go to Additional Settings then Developer Option.
- Turn on the toggle option. Go to OEM unlocking and the USB debugging options.
- Turn on our Mobile Data. Make sure that the data that you are using is from the SIM that you have used to create your MI account.
- Tap the MI Unlock Status and click the Agree button.
- Tap on “Add Account and Device.”
- You are going to see a warning message on your screen. Avoid it.
- Make sure that you have enough balance on your SIM.
- Turn off the power of your device.
- You need to boot your Xiaomi phone in Fastboot mode. To do this, you need to press the volume down and power button.
- Connect your phone to your computer with the use of a USB cable.
Now that you have done the steps to unlock the bootloader, you need to continue with the unlocking procedure.
- Download the MI Unlock Tool.
- Extract the tool from the Download Section.
- Look for the “misflash_unlock” on the folder and click “Agree.”
- Sign in to your MI account.
- Make sure that your phone is connected to your computer.
- Click the Unlock button.
- There will be a prompt that will appear. Click “Unlock Anyway.”
- Wait for the message that says “Unlocked Successfully.”
By this time, your phone is already unlocked. You can explore it to the best of your abilities.
1. What if an error appears while the unlocking process is taking place?
Answer: If this happens, you need to wait for 168 hours before you can start the unlocking process again. Make sure that you do all the steps correctly to avoid running into problems.
2. How will you know if your Xiaomi phone is unlocked?
Answer: You can check the Mi Unlock Status and see the status from there. When it says “This device is unlocked, then you have done things successfully.”
3. Will the process work on all phones?
No, there may be some changes that are needed. It is best to stick with the process that is made for your device.