Last Updated on July 1, 2022 by Ramon Walters
Rooting has a misconception among users in many cases. People often think it increases the storage or space of the device. However, in real rooting your device gives you the access to modify/change anything in your phone.
In android sets you have some limitations in customizing your mobile. With device rooting, you can enable those and make changes easily, like font or theme changes.
In this article we’ll learn how to root Xiaomi mobile via fastboot. So, without further delay, let’s get into the details.
How To Unlock Bootloader
The first thing required to root your Xiaomi device is the bootloader unlocked. Generally, the bootloader is always locked in the device. If you want to root it, you’ve to unlock the bootloader first.
Here is how to unlock the bootloader in your Xiaomi phone.
- Turn on your Xiaomi mobile and go to “Settings”
- In settings, go to “About Phone”.
- Scroll down and you’ll find an option “MIUI Version”. Tap on the option for five to six times. It will activate the developer option.
- Now, go to “Additional Settings” and click on “Developer Option”.
- You’ll find “OEM Unlocking” in the developer option. Turn that on.
- Scroll down and click on “MI Unlock Status”. There you’ll get the option “Add account & device”. Click on that and add your Xiaomi account there.
- Go back and scroll again, now you’ll get the “USB Debugging” option. Turn it on.
- Now, download MI Flash Unlock Tool on your computer from any authentic online source. After downloading the file, extract it.
- Get into the extracted folder and open the flash unlock tool. When you open the flash unlock tool a pop will appear on the screen saying, “Agree”. Then log in to your Xiaomi account.
- At this point, connect your phone to your computer. Remember, you must connect the phone in Fastboot mode.
- To activate fastboot mode, firstly, turn off the phone. Then, press the power + volume down button together, it’ll transform the mobile into fastboot mode.
- After connecting the phone to your PC, you will get the “Unlock” button accessible.
- Click the “Unlock” button and you’ll get the bootloader mode unlocked in your Xiaomi android phone.
Once you have unlocked the bootloader mode, you may have to wait for 15 days to root it. Before you start to unlock the bootloader mode, make sure you backup all your files from your device to a safe place. Because unlocking bootloader mode will remove all the data in the device.
How To Root Xiaomi Via Fastboot
At this point we will learn how to root Xiaomi mobile via fastboot. Here is a step by step guide on how to do it.
- Firstly, you’ll need to download 3 files. Those are, ADB Setup File, Fastboot Rom Application (Your MIUI version) and Platform Tools. Download these three files on your computer from a reliable online source.
- Next, run the ADB setup file. While running the setup type “Y” to give all the permissions to “Yes” everything. It is done to enable updates for all USB drivers in your PC.
- Now, extract the Platform tool folder. Also unzip the fastboot rom folder. You’ll get two separate files from the extraction.
- Copy/cut the platform tools folder and paste to your window’s C Drive.
- Then, copy all the folders from Flashboot Rom and paste it into the platform tool’s folder in C Drive.
- Now, staying in the folder run CMD through the status bar and put a command,”Fastboot Devices”. Now, you will see some serial number that means your device is securely and perfectly connected to your computer.
- Now, click on the flash file and it’ll root your Xiaomi mobile.
- Note: There are three kinds of flash files you’ll find. One, “flash_all”, will remain the bootloader unlocked and flash the device completely. Second, “flash_all_except_storage”will remain the bootloader unlocked as well and no data will be deleted from the storage. Third, “flash_all_lock”, it will lock the bootloader and delete all the data from the device.
Can Xiaomi phones be rooted?
Yes, Xiaomi phones can be rooted. You can root it with MI Flash Tool as well as via fastboot. To root with fastboot you must unlock the bootloader first.
How do I give Xiaomi root permission?
To give root permission in Xiaomi phones, first go to the settings. Then go to “Permissions”. There enable the toggle for the “Root Access” option. It will give the root permission instantly.
Does rooting the MI Phone void warranty?
Rooting MI Phone doesn’t void the warranty. It allows its users to root the device without any issue.
Hope that, reading this article, you got the idea clear about how to root a Xiaomi device via fastboot. If you are not feeling it safe to root via fastboot, you can instead try MI Flash Tool.